The comedian, 60, who has hosted the ceremony five times, revealed he becomes filled with fear at ‘fluffing’ his jokes directed towards Hollywood’s biggest stars.
When asked about this year’s cancelled Golden Globes due to Covid-19, Ricky told the talk show host, ‘They didn’t happen for loads of reasons. I loved it – the first time I did it 10 years ago people were shocked that I was nasty to celebrities.
Surprise: Ricky Gervais has confessed he gets nervous before roasting the Golden Globe’s star-studded audience, during a Friday appearance on The Graham Norton show
‘But by the fifth time I think I hit the mark – everyone was being horrible about celebrities; it was part of the zeitgeist.
‘I loved it but it was nerve wracking because you have just one chance not to fluff the joke – it’s like taking a penalty at Wembley! I’m really glad I did it but it’s enough.’
Ricky skewered ‘woke’ Hollywood, made jokes about Jeffrey Epstien, Harvey Weinstein and Prince Andrew, and tackled topics such as MeToo and ISIS as he left his A-list audience wincing at previous Golden Globes ceremonies.
Hilarious: The comedian, 60, revealed he becomes filled with fear at ‘fluffing’ his jokes’ directed towards Hollywood’s biggest stars (pictured in 2020)
Wow! Ricky skewered ‘woke’ Hollywood as he left his A-list audience wincing during his opening monologues at previous ceremonies (Tom Hanks and Gwyneth Paltrow are pictured)
Honest: When asked about this year’s cancelled Golden Globes due to Covid-19, he told the talk show host, ‘I loved it – the first time I did it 10 years ago, people were shocked’
Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, and Gwyneth Paltrow were left with stunned looks on their faces as the actor mocked Felicity Huffman over the college admission scandal in 2020.
He also branded James Corden a ‘massive p***y’ and ripped Judi Dench for ‘licking’ her own private parts in his eight-minute speech.
In one blunt moment, he advised those receiving awards to avoid making political speeches because ‘you’re in no position to the public about anything’, adding: ‘If you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and f*** off.’
The British comic underlined his point by jesting: ‘You say you’re woke but the companies you work for in China — unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS started a streaming service you’d call your agent, wouldn’t you?’
Elsewhere in the interview, Ricky spoke about After Life’s third and final season which was finally released on Netflix on Friday, and speaking of his comedy-drama’s success, he also spoke of its emotional response.
The actor plays the lead role of Tony Johnson, hose life is turned upside down after his wife dies from breast cancer.
Ricky admitted: ‘It is overwhelming. I never thought it would be this big and best part has been the emotional response.
When asked why there was a third series when he normally only ever does two, he replied, ‘It felt right, there was more scope, and bigger story. People always think I am crazy to stop at two but there are always new and exciting things to do.’
Spellbinding: After Life’s third and final season was finally released on Netflix on Friday, and speaking of the drama’s success, he spoke of the emotional response (pictured in-character)
Ricky Gervais’s most controversial Golden Globes jokes
- You say you’re woke but the companies you work for in China — unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS started a streaming service you’d call your agent, wouldn’t you?
- Once Upon a Time In Hollywood – nearly three hours long. Leonardo DiCaprio attended the premiere and by the end his date was too old for him. Even Prince Andrew is like ‘come on Leo, mate’
- I came in a limo tonight and the license plate was made by Felicity Huffman
- [Afterlife] is a show about a man who wants to kill himself because his wife died of cancer and it’s still more fun than this. Spoiler alert, season two is on the way so he didn’t kill himself…just like Jeffrey Epstein. I know he’s your friend, I don’t care
- [Birdbox is] a movie where people survive by acting like they don’t see a thing. Sort of like working for Harvey Weinstein
- It was a big year for pedophile movies. Surviving R Kelly, Leaving Neverland, Two Popes
- The world got to see James Corden as a fat p****. He was also in the movie Cats, but nobody saw that
- Dame Judi Dench defended [Cats] saying it was the role she was born to play because she loves nothing better than plunking herself down on the carpet, lifting her leg and licking her [expletive]
- You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg
Todd and Julie Chrisley have ‘bonded’ over weight loss
ALISON BOSHOFF: Why Pamela Anderson is seething over Lily James’s ‘disgusting’ TV drama
Reese Witherspoon becomes the first Oscar winner to sign up for Cbeebies Bedtime Stories
Devastated Apprentice fans react to Shama Amin leaving due to ill health
Cardi B called an ‘angel’ by family member of tragic Bronx apartment fire victims
Filming on Bridgerton resumes after third halt in production amid Covid fears
‘Picture Perfect’ Season 3 Confirmed
Britney Spears lands back in LA after Cabo trip with fiance Sam Asghari to celebrate 40th birthday
Win Digital HD Copy Of Climate Of The Hunter!
‘And Just Like That’ blasted for killing off major character in first episode
Lil Nas X Dances N@ked In Official Video For ‘Industry Baby’ (Watch)
Lil Nas X Bags Jail Term Over ‘Satan Shoes’ In Visuals For ‘Industry Baby’ (Watch)
Davido Premieres Visuals For ‘Shopping Spree’ Feat. Chris Brown, Young Thug (Watch)
Olamide Out With ‘Julie’ (Watch)
BAS Drops ‘The Jackie’ Video With J. Cole And Lil Tjay
Follow Us on Facebook
Get Stories Via Email
Foreign Celebrity3 weeks ago
Richard Madden relaxes on the beach with his mother Pat at a luxurious resort in Mexico
Foreign Celebrity3 weeks ago
The Bachelorette’s Brooke Blurton steps out for first time since shock split with Darvid Garayeli
Foreign Celebrity2 weeks ago
Teresa Giudice shows off swimsuit body while cuddling up to fiance Luis ‘Louie’ Ruelas in Los Cabos